The scary truths about fertility check-ups

After DH's semen analysis last October 2018 (in case you want to know about semen analysis, here's the link about that story), now it's my turn to have my fertility check-up too.

I already had my transvaginal ultrasound last May and September 2018 then I decided to have my hysterosalpingogram in November. I'm planning on taking a three-week leave from work in December so we could focus on our baby dancing.


Transvaginal Ultrasound (TVS) and Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)

During my second TVS in September 2018, I was
diagnosed with having polycystic ovaries.
Our company has an HMO provider and it has been really a big help in all my check-ups. I use it whenever I have my diagnostic tests and OB consultations.

I go to the Davao Doctors Hospital for my TVS since my OB has her clinic also inside the hospital. It's a bit inconvenient since I have to line up for the ultrasound and right after, I have to line up again for my OB. I am thinking of changing my OB but then, she specializes in fertility treatments so she can really help us with our problem. I'm not sure if there are other fertility doctors in the city but so far, she's a good one so maybe, I need to get used in a waiting game. ðŸ˜µ

Another cyst was found beside my right ovary.
I had a TVS for two times, first one was last May 2018 then the second time was in September 2018. I was diagnosed with having polycystic ovaries and a paratubal cyst in my right ovary.

My OB then advised me to take an HSG test by 2019 but I requested if I could have it this month. I've read a lot of stories on online forums where women are claiming that they got pregnant after their HSG tests. Even one of my BFFs also has the same story.

The HSG must be done within the cycle day 6 to 9 since these are the pre-fertile days. I took Doxycycline, an antibiotic, from the day prior to my test until the fifth day. I also took a pain reliever medicine one hour before the procedure.

The HSG is done at the Outpatient Imaging Center of the Brokenshire Hospital. It costs around Php 9,000 plus Php 9,000 as a professional fee for my OB, a total of around Php 18,000. I'm thankful again for my PhilHealth and I only paid Php 3,000 of it.

After waiting for two hours, my OB and her assistant arrived where I was advised to enter the room and asked to lie on my back in the Xray machine while my two feet are bent. During the procedure, a speculum is put to open the vagina then a thin catheter is inserted through the cervix into the uterus, and a special radio-opaque contrast material dye is injected.

During the first push of the dye, a sudden painful cramping happened at my abdomenal area that I
The paratubal cyst has been confirmed through my HSG result.
I got hydrosalpinx at my right fallopian tube.
almost cried and felt dizzy. The pain was tolerable but too painful (maybe 20x more painful than the dysmenorrhea) so I remained on lying. It lasted for 20 minutes.

My OB then explained to me that I have a hydrosalpinx, a blocked fallopian tube filled with fluid. This is the paratubal cyst referred to by the sonographer during my TVS. Alas! I finally found the culprit why I'm not "yet" preggy. My right is almost blocked hence, my egg cells and DH's sperm cells couldn't meet together. ðŸ˜”

T'was a mix of emotions. I'm glad that I finally had the answer but I'm also a bit devastated after my OB told me that hydrosalpinx can lessen the chance of my pregnancy. Even though I can still get preggy, there's a greater chance of a miscarriage case since the fluid excreted by the inflamed tube can harm the embryo. ðŸ˜­

It has been two weeks already after that test but the feeling of sadness is still flowing within me. Did I do something wrong with my body? Am I not taking care of it? Am I being punished? Series of questions have been occupying my mind since then.

This kind of results is what really scares us the most—to know the harsh truths about our health. This might cause you pain and sadness but in the end, it will make you realize to always value what you have, remain the positivity despite the challenges, and keep your faith in Him burning. ðŸ˜‡

You might want to check the full story of our TTC journey. Here's the link.

Comments

  1. Good day. I found your blog last night and my wife is preparing for her HSG tomorrow. What requirements are necessary for philhealth? Just the member data record (MDR)? Thank you for responding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the very late reply as I am busy at work. I hope your wife's HSG procedure went well.

      But I'll still answer your question for other's information, too. Yes, the patient just need to bring her MDR, signed by their HR head.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the details. I'm being nervous right now as I will be having an HSG too this coming May 2024. Glad I've read your blog about it. Presumably, the cost may now be a bit higher compared to way back 2019.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I called SLMC-QC and it costs around Php6300++. But the person I spoke with said I can use my Philhealth :)

      Delete
  3. Hello maam! I would like to ask, may I know who is your OB? My husband and I we’re also TTC. And we wanted to have a fertility check up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so depressed at having been trying for nearly a 5 years that I started an online journal. I knew my husband was tired of me complaining, especially since he couldn't do anything more to help the situation. Talking to my mom only led to her telling me to relax and that it ‘will happen eventually.’ I needed a way to vent my frustrations and fears without feeling judged. After realizing we couldn’t get pregnant, my husband and I sat down and had a long talk. We discussed my feelings and where we could go from here.one faithful morning when i was going through the internet i stumble to see a lady who her tube was tied giving a testimony how she got pregnant with Dr nogokpo Healing roots and herb with his email,so i contact him and after using the roots and herbs i got pregnant a month later and i want to say thank you once agin for your help Dr nogokpo Healing.for help email him via: nogokposh@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on: +233 24 095 7817. (Thanks and God bless)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DH's first fertility check-up at Fertility Care Center Davao

IVF Journey: What happened to our first round of IVF